logo hd OnlineFilings

Register as a Sole Trader. Become Self-employed Today. Join the 3.4 million sole traders in the UK & run your own business as an individual - with Online Filings it's fast, easy, affordable and done right.

  • Self-employed HMRC Registration
  • Unique Tax Reference Sent at Home
  • Pricing Starts at £39.99
  • Company Name Reservation Service
Online Filings logo Connect

An exclusive marketplace of business services to supercharge your Limited company registration

One of our partners, AXA
One of our partners, Barclays
One of our partners, the British Business Bank
One of our partners, Iwoca
One of our partners, Wise
One of our partners, Zettle

Becoming a Sole Trader is as easy as 1 | 2 | 3

1. Select one of our sole trader package
You can trade under your own name, or you can choose our name reservation service to register your business name at Companies House while trading as a sole trader (see more information in our FAQ).

2. Complete a simple form in 5 min
Once your payment has been accepted, you'll be directed to fill out our short 100% online application. We'll take care of sending your application to HMRC and Companies House (for name reservation service).

3. Receive your Unique Tax Reference at home
Your UTR confirms that you have started trading as sole trader. This code is confidential and can only be sent by HMRC by post.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the sole trader status?

If you’re a sole trader, you run your own business as an individual and are self-employed.
You can keep all your business’s profits after you’ve paid tax on them. You’re personally responsible for any losses your business makes.

Can I trade before I receive my UTR?

Yes, absolutely! You just need to make sure you are registered within 3 months of trading.

Your responsibilities as a sole trader:

You’ll need to:

- Keep records of your business’s sales and expenses
- Send a Self Assessment tax return every year
- Pay Income Tax on your profits and Class 2 and Class 4 National Insurance
- You’ll need to apply for a National Insurance number if you’re moving to the UK to set up a business.


What information do I need to provide?

You’ll need to supply information such as:

- National Insurance (NI) number
- Name
- Date of birth
- Postal address
- Name of business
- What type of work you do
- Start date

How long does registration take?

Depending on your package, we process applications to register you as self-employed with HMRC between 1 to 7 business days. Once you have completed our online simplified registration form, your application will be submitted to HMRC for review. HMRC will then issue your Unique Tax Reference Reference (UTR). UTR are confidential numbers and can only be sent by post by HMRC. HMRC takes approximately 6 weeks to send the UTR, however you can start trading before receiving your UTR as long as you are registered within 3 months of trading.

What is the Name Reservation Service?

As a sole trader, you can either trade under your own name or use a business name. If you use a business name, It can’t be the same name as that of an existing business. You can protect someone else from registering the name of your business

Say for example, you chose to call your business Myfirstbusiness . The business is booming and starts making a name for itself in its sector but one year later someone else registers this name at Companies House. That person can legally force you to stop trading under Myfirstbusiness name.

We'll register a dormant limited company with a name of your choice available to register at Companies House. A dormant company is one that is not trading (sic code 99999). This limited company is created solely to protect someone else from using your name. You will remain a sole trader and be able to trade as such. You will be the director of the dormant company meaning that the name is now yours

Start Your Limited Company Using a Formation Agent

Online Filings offers entrepreneurs, professional expert advice and assistance to register a company and provide:

Professional Services
Online Filings is a Companies House authorised formation agent and approved filing and secretarial software provider. This means that we have developed our own incorporation software, approved by Companies House which securely sends all your information directly to Companies House.

Fast and Easy Process
We have simplified the formation process by creating a streamlined registration form. Our online digital assistant provides useful tips for a step by step support. Your limited company can be incorporated within a few hours and your new business bank account will be ready within days.

Lifetime Customer Support
Call, email or chat; we’re here for you. We provide help with added services after your confirmation statement has been filed.

logo online filings

By chat
Click the "Help" button at the bottom right of your screen:
ask for help
Or email us at: support@onlinefilings.co.uk

By phone
monday to friday
10h-12h 14h-16h